A critical part of being a good manager or supervisor is being good at communications. Improving your own communications skills can help contribute to the overall performance of your team.
We’re often asked about it, so we’ve put together our top 5 favourites:
- BE PROACTIVE. Take the initiative to reach out. If you don’t have the information you need, find it.
- 360° THINKING. Consider who would benefit from information broadly – up, down and across the organization.
- BE TIMELY. Communicate as soon as there is a need to – even if all the details are not yet clear.
- FAVOUR FACE-2-FACE. Wherever possible, communicate in person through conversations, meetings or just walking around.
- LISTEN. Remember that communications is about exchange and dialogue – listen for cues and adjust your message as needed.