Communication is about the exchange of information, ideas, and emotions. Use the following tips to maximize communications in your position as a manager:
- Be Proactive: Take the initiative to reach out. If you don’t have the information you need, find it.
- 360 Degree Thinking: Consider who would benefit from information broadly – up, down and across the organization.
- Be Timely: Communicate as soon as there is a need to – even if all the details are not yet clear.
- Favour Face to Face: Wherever possible, communicate in person through conversations, meeting or just walking around.
- Listen: Remember that communications is about exchange and dialogue – listen for cues and adjust your message as needed.
For more on communications for managers, see here: http://www.slideshare.net/CarolineKealey/best-practicesandcommunicationsformanagers